The Genetically Modified crops are the crops which are developed with the help of advanced biotechnological methods. The GM crops are also known as the transgenic crops as because it contains foreign genes. The main concept behind transgenic crops or GM crops is that any required genes can be transferred and that can affect the genotype of the host. This technology is superior to the breeding methods as because in breading no new genes are used, only the already present genes are reshuffled and combined to produce the new one but in GM the new genes are introduced.
The demand for genetically modified crops is getting increases and increases throughout the world. What makes it so demanding? The reasons why it is so useful can be described –
1. High tolerance – GM plants have high tolerance level as compared to the normal one, GM plants are tolerant to many abiotic stresses like high salinity, heat, low moisture, freezing temperature and many other adverse climatic conditions.
2. Pest resistance – The biotechnology help to develop such a GM plants which are resistance to pest without the use of chemical pesticides. This help to reduce the cost of agriculture with better production.
3. Disease resistance – The GM plants are achieved with such a genotype which make them resistance to many common diseases and as a result prevent the loss.
4. High nutrient value – Many genotypes are achieved where the nutrient producing genes are introduced and as a result, the amount of many vital vitamins are higher in it.
5. Time saving – The GM plants can be grown in short interval of time and which is also rich in many vital nutrients with low investment for its cultivation.
6. Post harvest loss reduction – The changed genotype help to reduce the post harvest losses like an example Flavr Savr variety of tomatoes.